28 September 2004

These are Ideas


I'm at the library today and there is this kid reading at the table next to me. He couldn't have been more than five. Nice kid. Anyway, he was reading some book where kids have a dog, adventures happen, God is in his heaven and all is well. His mom was looking for some book over in the nonfiction section. Well the kid is looking at me and he comes over to ask me a question. I thought he was going to ask me how to say a particular word or something. Well the kid said he saw that my bag happens to be an Army bag. He asked if I was in the Army. I told him I was about to leave for basic and then OCS. I then had to explain to him what OCS is. Well he said he wanted to join the Army when he grows up because he wants to be a hero. I told him that if he wanted to be a hero he ought to be an actor. The danger isn't real, the money is better and the girls are hotter. He laughed and said maybe, but he would rather be poor than dead. Good kid.